Sunday, August 30, 2009

25-year-old ran amok with a knife in a Staszow church

A 25-year-old ran amok with a knife in a Staszow church in the middle of Mass last Sunday, injuring three female members of the congregation. Elzbieta Lasota, an eye-witness, told TVN24 reporters, “I looked round and there was a man of about 30, slim, tall, blond, holding a knife against someone’s neck. People tried to escape in panic.”

The man’s last act was to stab himself in the throat, missing his carotid artery by millimetres, before being restrained by male members of the church.

It later emerged that the young man, who had no previous criminal record, had been on an amphetamine binge. Father Henryk Kozakiewicz said the young man told him, “I’ve felt I’m being followed for several days. I took the knife because I felt someone was going to attack me.”

The three victims were kept in hospital, but their wounds are superficial and none of their lives is in danger. The attacker has been operated on and will be interviewed by police as soon as his condition allows.
Link